Mobile Banking in a Digital World
Digital banking isn’t new. In fact, it was introduced decades ago, but with more banking customers—whether novice or experienced—relying on their smartphones in this digital age, mobile banking apps have become a priority. This year, there was a 200% jump in new mobile banking registrations and mobile banking traffic rose 85% according to Fidelity National Information Services. Now more than ever, it’s important to make sure your bank takes online and mobile banking as seriously as you do. Read on to find out what you should expect from your digital banking space.
A Seamless Digital Banking Experience
Can you imagine having the power of a bank at your fingertips? A seamless digital banking experience is something every customer deserves. When it comes to online tools, you should have the ability to pay bills, budget, and get email and text notifications in addition to many other useful features.
- Access Accounts: Digital banking tools start with the ability to access online banking anywhere, even when you’re on-the-go.
- Online Bill Pay: Sometimes bills and payments can be confusing and hard to keep up with. But, when you have online banking on your side, you’ll never forget again. It’s easy to host all of your bills in one location and schedule recurring payments every month.
- Text and Email Notifications: Stay up to date on your account activity with notifications sent directly to your email or phone. You can even set notifications to your personal preference and choose how you receive them.
- My Spending: Staying within your budget is hard sometimes. What if you had a built-in tool to help you? My Spending is WesBanco’s budgeting tool built into our online banking experience that automatically categorizes your transactions and then provides you with a full dashboard of your spending. You can also set limits and alerts for certain purchases. Have outside accounts? Link those to your online platform to get a bird’s eye view of your finances.
- Online Applications: We’re also making it simple to open checking or savings accounts and apply for credit cards or even a mortgage online. These applications are available on our website for easy access.
- Mobile Deposit: The next time you have to deposit a check, just use your smart phone. With simple instructions, it’s fast and easy to deposit money directly into your accounts.
- Mobile Wallet: No need to bring your purse or wallet, with Mobile Wallet you can make purchases with your smartphone right at the register.
- Pay Someone: Pay Someone is a feature available with WesBanco’s mobile banking app. If you need to pay a friend, send them money via text or email directly from your app. Mobile payments are that easy. This feature is also available in our Online Banking Portal.
- ATM Access: If you do need to locate an ATM for a cash withdrawal, we offer Locator Search which will provide you with over 55,000 surcharge-free ATMs.
Digital Banking Security
Security should be a top priority when it comes to digital banking offerings. So, when you’re choosing a new banking provider or curious about your current bank, you should expect these stringent security measures:
- Complex Password Requirements: Digital banking offerings should require a complex passcode consisting of both alpha and numeric characters to access online banking. WesBanco’s digital banking tools require this measure in addition to four unique security questions and answers. These questions are presented upon login when the login is from a new device or a new IP address. These questions are also presented when sensitive links are selected online or within our mobile banking app. You’ll also want to make sure that your bank uses software to monitor and analyze suspicious logins.
- Two-Factor Authentication: Does your mobile or online banking experience require multiple authentication? A one-time security code should be used when additional authentication is required. This code is texted to the mobile number on file and is required for a login.
- Security Alerts: Security alerts should also be standard when banking digitally. Set up alerts to get
notifications of each login to your account or when money is transferred. Mandatory security alerts are set up for transfers over $5000, unless you set a smaller threshold in your security settings. Additional notifications can be enabled through digital banking text alerts along with a variety of other alerts including transactional and messaging notifications.
- Customizable Security Options: You should also have the flexibility to increase the security on your accounts. This means changing your password every 60 days with multiple words and special characters. Consider changing your account access ID every 60 days along with security questions and answers. We also suggest establishing real-time text alerts for every login, transfer and/or change.
Digital Banking Support Online and Off
A seamless online and mobile banking experience as well as stringent security measures are important for digital banking. But a complete and trusted customer service initiative is also critical. You can count on us to be there when you need us. Our culture is focused on building lasting relationships to serve your personal financial needs. That also means helping you when you do need to visit a branch. For 150 years, we’ve prided ourselves on providing a modern and dependable service. Whether you prefer using our secure digital banking services, or you like doing your banking in-person at your local neighborhood branch, we’re here for you.
Learn More about WesBanco’s Online & Mobile Tools
Content is for informational purposes only and is not intended to provide legal or financial advice. The views and opinions expressed do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of WesBanco.